Thursday, June 16, 2011

Adaptation

After three and a half months of living in Georgia I have culturally adapted in several ways.  For instance, in DC I am overly cautious about crossing the streets due to crazy drivers on their cells phones, who drive too fast and do not pay attention to pedestrians.  However, in Georgia I happily walk out into the middle of traffic and wait in the middle of the road while things clear up on the other half of the road.  This is due to crazy drivers on their cells phones, who drive too fast and do not pay attention to pedestrians.  In all seriousness, the lack of crosswalks and traffic lights in Gori do require a certain amount of...bravery when crossing the street.  As I like to say, just close your eyes and wish for the best.  Same goes for riding in a car.  Traffic rules are...flexible.

Other cultural quirks I have picked up while living here:
  • Being able to bolonde (drink to the end!) a glass of homemade wine.  Anecdotal evidence, i.e. the severe hangovers that my friends suffered while visiting my Georgian home, suggests that my family's wine is exceptionally strong.  However, after my farewell suppra which included many toasts I had not a hint of a hangover.
  • Drinking chacha with the hope that it will cure what ails you.  Georgians jokingly believe that their adored moonshine known as chacha will cure everything.  While in the middle of a terrible allergy attack I took a shot or two with the intent of clearing my sinuses.  Seemed to work reasonably well.  And while it feels like you are drinking paint thinner, chasing it with a meticulously seasoned piece of lard is quite delightful.  Yeah that's right, I said lard.  Don't knock it until you try it.
  • Dancing.  I have always loved going out and dancing it up.  However, my clubbing days tapered off in the past few years as I got older and the scene got more annoying.  But in Georgia the young and the old all LOVE to dance.  No evening is complete until someone has played Sharika and danced around with what were previously perfect strangers.  Has-been top 40s, the latest from Russia or traditional Georgian music is all fair game on the dance floor.  I even spent a few days a week learning two traditional Georgian dances.  Hey, you need to do something to work off all that bread and cheese!
  • Departing to a destination in a taxi filled with strangers with the intent of staying in a strangers home.  It's not that there aren't hotels in Georgia, but living on a volunteer stipend tightens the purse strings, so more often than not staying in a stranger's home is the best option.  Same goes for taxis and marshutkas, they are often the easiest way to travel around the country.  Some of my favorite moments in Georgia have been the drives back and forth between Gori and Tbilisi.  There was the time that the gentleman upfront bought my friend and I some beers to enjoy on the journey and there was the other time when another guy fell asleep on me...
  • Georgian time.  Deadlines are not important.  Being on time is not important. However, be aware that this only applies to Georgians.  If you are not Georgian be prepared to receive a phone call demanding to know where you are.
These adaptations will be challenging to overcome as I re-immerse myself into American society.  There are many things that I will miss terribly about living in Georgia.  Including, but not limited to the following:
  • Toasting every sip of wine.  Drinking with a sense of purpose feels much more dignified. However, I will also enjoy being able to drink at my own pace again.
  • The food.  I have had sessions on making khinkali and kachapuri.  Hopefully I can approximate these and some other Georgian dishes upon my return home.
  • The people.  My family especially.  Georgians are truly wonderful, kind, sincere people.  Their hospitality cannot be topped.
  • The countryside.  There are so many beautiful places in Georgia.  I am very glad that I did my best to see as much of it as possible.
  • Sharing the roads/ sidewalks with farm animals.  My host family thinks it's hilarious that I come home with pictures of the neighborhood chickens or cows.  I loved being able to look to my side and see sheep, cows, chickens, dogs, and the occasional goat striding down the road too.
  • Walking past the market/ marshutka stand as it opens up for the day.
  • Walking past the market/ marshutka stand as it closes for the day.
That  being said I am looking forward to the following things when I return to the U.S.  Including, but not  limited to the following: nachos, french food, thai food, all not-Georgian food, craft beers, my boys, being able to show my tattoos, American TV, movie theaters, fireflies, baking, boxing, etc.

I have four more days in Georgia, then I am off to Turkey for almost 2 weeks.  See y'all soon!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment