Saturday, June 4, 2011

Two weeks to go

It is already June.  Summer has arrived in Gori.  Everyone is eating ice cream.  The flowers and grape vines are blooming.  I am not sure how this happened so fast.  In just a matter of days I will being saying farewell to my Georgian family, students and co-teachers, and close friends that I have made while here in Georgia.  I am not an overly sentimental person, but this is going to be a tough one.

It's hard to say exactly how much of an impact I have made and if I really did improve the English language skills of my students or family.  I guess the best that I can hope for is that they have learned some new things while also gaining confidence in using the English they do know.  I sincerely hope that my co-teachers have been inspired by some of the different ideas I brought to the classroom....if nothing else, they now know the hokey pokey.
I suspect that my host mother fears for my starvation when I return to the U.S. and then move to London for grad school.  Last week she made a special effort to teach me how to make khinkali (Georgian dumplings).  My two host sisters also participated in the evening of khinkali making, thereby ensuring that I was properly educated in all aspects of the process.  My prior khinkali session with my friend Nino's family had already provided me with a base knowledge.  As a result my family was most impressed with my folding skills as well as my freakish strength which makes me an excellent kneader of dough.
I tried to mix the meat, parsley and cilantro with a spoon and was quickly told to use my hands.

Kneading dough.

Excellently folded khinkali.

Khinkali!
Kachapuri and eggplant with walnut are also on the list of things my Georgian mother will teach me to make before I depart.  Unfortunately, I will not be around for the wine-making in October.  I suppose my education in all things Georgian cuisine will remain incomplete.

No comments:

Post a Comment