Saturday, September 10, 2011

House Hunting / House Building Part 2

This is going to be a long one.  Just a word of warning.

When I last wrote I was about to head off to London/ Budapest/ Beius for some "flat" hunting and house building.  My first stop was London.  However, I arrived a full day late due to the sheer incompetence of my former-favorite airline.  I flew out of national airport, was supposed to spend three hours in the Atlanta airport (3 hours is 3 hours too long in that god forsaken place) and then jet off to England.  However, due to a ground stop and an agent who lacked basic cognitive skills this did not happen quite as planned.

Here is a portion of my conversation with customer service:

Agent: There is no reason to rebook you, your flight will take off at 7:30pm.
Me: Ma'am, it's 7:30pm now.  We deboarded the place at 7pm.  There is no sign of reboarding.  My next flight is at 10:50pm.  I do not want to be stuck in Atlanta overnight.
Agent: No, it's 7:23pm now.

I bet you can guess what happened.  Yup, I got stuck in Atlanta.  We did reboard in time to make the connecting flight, however, standing on the runway for nearly 2 hours changed that outlook.  After standing in line for over 2 hours to get a hotel voucher for a night in a Motel 6, I returned to the airport the next day to fly to Boston where I would catch their 10:50pm flight to London.  Why not just take the 10:50pm flight out of Atlanta and skip the connection drama?  Good question.  The answer is twofold: 1) I really hate Atlanta; 2) that's how the brilliant airline rebooked me, reassuring me that my 40 minute connection would be "no problem at all."

Can you guess what happened next?  Yes, the plane did board late!  After successfully narrowing everybody's connection time to almost nothing, the plane was then in need of maintenance.  Yay, we get to deboard!  What followed was a series of visits to gate counters, customer service counters, and courtesy phones.  An hour later I was rebooked on the same flight that I had missed by 20 minutes the night before.  Oh joy, 5 more hours in the Atlanta airport.  I consoled myself with airport nachos, my inexplicable go-to food in airports that always manages to be frozen or in some other way completely disgusting.  And yet I always come back for more.  Not unlike my relationship with this airline. (These were actually in fact the best airport nachos I have ever had.)  Much later that evening, even later than expected because -surprise!- that flight took off late, I finally boarded my flight to London.  When I eventually arrived in London, I searched frantically for my luggage which I was convinced would not make the hop across the pond, only to discover, that somehow it came via Boston.  Really?  How? Oh well, at least it was there.
My next blog will be called "Airport Nachos" and will consist of belligerent rants against this airline.  






At some point during the nearly 3 weeks of travel that followed I got a "'How did we do?" email.  I let them know.  However, for some reason the airline's survey only let me complete half of my rant.  A carefully worded email of complaint was due to follow when I arrived back stateside.  But after barely making it through the crush of humanity at Heathrow airport I boarded my plane back to DC only to discover that somebody had upgraded me to Business Elite.  Yeah, that's right, the part of the plane with the yummy three course meals and seats that recline into beds and fluffy blankets.  What a treat for this hungover gal, you sly airline lackeys.  That email was never sent.

London
So, the house hunting portion of the trip began during the 36 hour period I had before flying out of London into Budapest.  This was a discouraging series of hours during which I called landlords who refused to rent to students, refused to hold any apartments until the first of September, or refused to call me back.  I also talked to a series of agencies (a popular option for London dwellers) who said I needed a UK-based guarantor (i.e. a British person willing to pay my rent in the case that I cannot -- not an F-ing likely find now is it?), 500 pounds in finder fees in addition to 6 weeks rent and 6 weeks deposit, and 6 months rent up front.  Sigh. 

During that one day I had to look I was able to only see few places in a posher part of town that I did not want to live in.  It was not promising.  This is what I saw, no seriously this happened: washers and driers outside under the stairs to the basement level apartment (do they know what London is like in the winter? I do.), a shower inside the living/ bedroom room complete with clear glass doors, and a place that looked like immigration had come through and ransacked the place.  I spent the next two weeks in Romania stressing about my future living quarters and pondering whether I should give in and do a flatshare with strangers who I probably wouldn't like.  When I got back to London things looked up.  I saw a few more places that, while not perfect, were much better than the other places and I could picture myself living in.  I eventually met a very straightforward landlord who I had spoken to during those first two days and said that no he wouldn't hold the apartment that I called about, but that when I returned on the 17th he did have a similar one that would be almost ready for the market.  Upon arrival in said apartment the words of Brigham Young came to me: This Is The Place.  (You can take the girl out of Utah, but can't rid her of that mormon humor).  So now I have keys and a lease and hope that when I arrive back in London on Wednesday that something horrible hasn't happened to the apartment. 
My new neighborhood on game day.  Go arsenal! That's soccer right?
I did get to do a few fun and semi-relaxing things in London.  I met some awesome solo-traveling girls at the hostel I stayed in, wandered around Camden market, drank cider, had a picnic in Hyde Park, took in some live music, and met up with some friends from Georgia.  I've already done the touristy things in London and figure I can revisit everything during the downtime I have in between my arrival and the beginning of orientation.  I have also planned out a few concerts for myself and researched local boxing gyms. 
Camden

Camden Lochs.  No I don't really know those are.

Budapest and Beius
The other not stressful, extremely fulfilling and barrels of fun portion of my trip was building a house with my Habitat for Humanity team.  I flew into Budapest a day early and had dinner with my friends Katie and Miranda.  The next day Miranda and I wandered through Budapest, one of my favorite cities, and had a relaxing day of shopping and lounging in the famous thermal bathes.  Later that night we met the rest of our team.  Just like last year, we had an amazing group of people who were at once hard workers and a lot of fun. The following day we drove the 5 hours from Budapest into Romania. 

This was a special year because my friend Katie, who I met last year when I built for her team, was leading her 10th trip to Beius.  She has been involved with Habitat since her college days and has built homes in Latin America and the U.S.  But Beius has a special place in her heart, so she has returned nearly every summer for the past 10 years.  It's hard to explain why a small village in the heart of Transylvania is so special.  But it is.  Romania, even after my intensive travel this past year, is still one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.  Being able to do something like provide a house to family is my ideal way to travel.  We get to work with the families building the house, bond with the local construction crew, and immerse ourselves in a way that your standard Dracula tour would prohibit.  I have a long list of places where I want to build houses with Habitat (Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, South Africa, Columbia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand....) and as much as I want to go back to Beius (I know I will at some point) my goal is to do a build every year somewhere new.  Katie also spent some time talking me in the the idea of leading my own team.  Which if I really want to build in Central Asia, I might need to organize my own team since it does not appear to be the most popular choice for leaders.  I spent the 2 weeks visualizing my team and imagining how everything would flow.  This will probably happen.  Though, next summer I will be writing my dissertation and job hunting and maybe applying to a few long-term programs that would keep me busy for a few years.  But the way I see it, there is always time to take a vacation, travel to a new place, and build a new home.
Me and Nelu.
Part of the family.

Me, Miranda, and Katie.
Me and a stud.

Up on the scaffolding.







Our team, local crew, family, and Habitat big bosses on they day we dedicated the house to the family.

Our hometowns. 
Me and the Romanian handball team.  I don't know how this happened.  Actually I do, but it's another story.
After driving back to Budapest we had a final team dinner on our very own boat that floated down the Danube allowing us to take in Budapest at night.  Have I told you how much I love this city? Yes?  Well I love it even more at night.  The next day Katie and I took a train to the Hungarian city of Szentendre.  We spent the day wandering around this cute little town and tasting the local wine at a series of cafes.  At the end of the day we met up with a few of the remaining team members, had a final dinner, and said so long and see you soon. 

Budapest
Budapest castle district.

Szentendre.

Szentendre.  The sign says "My life with marzipan."  Sounds like a must-read, no?
So now I am sitting here wondering how on earth I am going to get my life into these two large suitcases, survive graduate school, and make new friends in a new city.  I am sure that my adventures in London will be numerous and hopefully go beyond reading Edward Said.  I hope to travel throughout the UK and even hop over the continent a few times.  Christmas time in Brussels anyone?  No seriously, anyone? 

Luckily, this time around I opted for a direct flight to Heathrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment