Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Across the Pond

It's been a while since I've written.  That's due to a few reasons, one being that I didn't have internet in my flat until last week, the other being that I am busily trying to keep up with my grad program which is trying to fit the most amount of learning possible into a one-year program.  So as I sat pondering a 90 page article comparing U.S. and EU amnesty programs I decided I would rather provide a brief update. 

The first question I get from people from home is "Oh my god, do you love London?"  I can be helpful and just say yes or I can tell the truth.  When it comes to making this decision, it really depends on the time of day and how much energy I have.  The first few weeks were terrible.  I hated it.  I wanted to go home.  But then I remembered, a) I don't have a "home" anymore, and b) I have no job prospects without a graduate degree.  I was helpfully reminded the other day that I did not join the army, this is actually a temporary situation, so I should just buck up and get through it.  This in mind, I decided to make the best of this opportunity.

That being said, things have steadily improved.  I am making some friends, I do manage to do some fun things from time to time, I sometimes even smile.  I really do love my program and the professors I am working with.  I am thrilled by the amount of opportunities my school provides for augmenting my program through conferences or public lectures.  I also enjoy the people in my program, we have different motivations for choosing this path and that diversity has been a huge benefit in the classroom.

I am optimistic that at the end of all this I will have partaken at least a bit in London life and seen a few interesting places.  Perhaps there is even a possibility for a long-term life in Europe.  But for now it's nose in the books.

I will say this: stop commenting to me about the London rain.  It doesn't rain that much.  In fact, the weather is gorgeous.  I have admired plenty of beautiful sunny days...from my couch as I read about the fundamental theories of nationalism. 

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes the most stressful experiences end up being the most rewarding. Try to have a little fun through the torture, eh? You are much more of a world traveler than I, but on my first study abroad experience, I remember having a few days of culture shock during which I really just wanted to go back home. Also, similarly, it doesn't rain in Portland near as much as people envision. Sunny day today, in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, let's both hope our educational pursuits/investments are rewarding as possible! I think the reason the culture shock here is so bad is because, while everything in Georgia was much more wildly different, I had a support system provided for me via host family and fellow teachers. In London it really is just me on my own figuring out how the hell to get a sandwich that resembles an actual (American) sandwich.

    ReplyDelete