Friday, March 4, 2011

Training

Well I am finally in Tbilisi and am more than halfway through the training.  We have Georgian language classes every morning, which I am really enjoying.  Even though I cannot actually make half the sounds, I really love learning the language.  The other main components of training so far have been teaching methodology and intercultural communication.  I wish we had more time to spend on teaching methodology, since I feel like a fish out of water when it comes to teaching in general, much creating less lesson plans and preventing classroom mayhem.  The intercultural sessions have been great fun for me because I get to revisit Edward Hall's iceberg and Hofstede's dimensions. Cue Super Nerd!

It occurred to me yesterday that I had not left the hotel since my arrival.  So tonight I joined the bulk of the teachers on an excursion into Tbilisi to see a traditional Georgian dance concert.  Since there were so many of us we had the theater to ourselves and drank Georgian wine while watching the dancers tell the history of Georgia through movement.  It was pretty amazing.  Afterward the dancers decided to continue the fun and serenade us.  One of our teachers played some songs for the group as well.  It was a good time...until Mr. Jet Lag returned and it was time for me to head back to the hotel.

We find out in a few days where we will be placed, and I have absolutely no guesses about where I will be going.  Every time I think of a city or region that I would like to go to, I quickly think of another just as desirable.  So I am sure that I will be thrilled with whatever happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment